Port of Visakhapatnam is accredited with ISO Certification (ISO 14001) by the Indian Register of Quality Systems for the Environmental Management System standards in all its activities including related support services.
An Environmental Monitoring Committee (EMC) headed by renowned Environmentalist Prof. S. Rama Krishna Rao as Chairman of the Committee is in place with members representing Citizen Welfare Associations, NGOs, Academic Institutions, Industries/Defense, Trade, Observers from APPCB, Government Organisations and Senior Officers of the Port. The Committee reviews the implementation of long term and short term directives issued by APPCB and also reviews the environmental activities to be implemented by the Port. The Committee also inspects various operational areas of the Port and advises improvements on the Environmental activities carried out and gives suggestions for additional Environmental pollution mitigative measures as may be necessary based on the requirements from time to time.
Three Sub-Committees are constituted to review and monitor AAQ (Ambient Air Quality), Green Belt Development and Hazard Management. The EMC reviews the findings of the Sub-Committees and advises suitably on the environmental improvement measures.
Environmental cell has been established to monitor the environmental activieies of the Port, duly appointing persons qualified in the field of Environment Management.
The measures taken by the Port to mitigate Environmental Pollution include:
• Monitoring of Ambient Air Quality at six locations in and around the Port area by Port and third parties like Andhra University Development Center and APPCB.
• Monitoring of harbour water quality at regular intervals through Andhra University Development Center.
• Monitoring of STP waters before and after treatment at regular intervals.
• Regular monitoring of pollution control measures in and around Port area and residential areas.
• Preparation of Environmental Management Action Plan and Comprehensive Environmental zoning and land use plan for all occupied and unoccupied areas for the next ten years through M/s. MECON, Ranchi.
• Distribution of pamphlets and display of message boards on Environment Management.
• Development of Environmental Parks/ Nurseries and maintenance of Islands in and around Port areas.
• Continuous development of Green Belt in and around Port area.
• Mechanisation of Cargo Handling Operations in phases.
• Monitoring effluent of Port based industries before discharging into Port Waters and ensuring that they posses consent of APPCB for their activities.
The Port is taking all possible measures to contain the pollution and the maintain the ambient air quality within permissible limits. In addition to the above measures, the Port is (i)modernizing the cargo handling facilities for coal, iron ore, fertilizers etc., (ii) re organizing stack yards (iii) insulating coal stack yards by providing high rise walls along with dust suppression system as long term measure to avoid dust pollution.
Visakhapatnam Port Trust is discharging its responsibility as a corporate citizen in keeping the city clean and green, healthy and aesthetic and contributing significantly for better civic amenities for the people of Visakhapatnam.
In consonance with the development of Visakhapatnam Outer Harbour in the early 1970s the need for protection of the beach North of Visakhapatnam Port from the adverse affect of erosion due to the natural phenomena on account of sea wave/current action was realized.
A quantity of about 4 lakhs cu. mts. of sand is being pumped for the beach nourishment every year by incurring an expenditure of about ` 6.00 crores.
The beach nourishment being carried out for over the last 3 decades shows the firm commitment of the Port towards the social obligation for the city public, visitors and fishermen community.